Have been filing my tax returns online the last three years and it's a big relief not to run after some TaxCon to do what's pretty simple to do so yourself.
The Income Tax India web site is user-friendly enough.
You can visit it here to get the lay of the land. If you don't have a user account, you can create it here.
For most individuals, the ITR-2 should be good enough. Verify that this is the right one for you here.
Assuming that's the case, you can download the ZIP of it to your computer from here. It has the following files:
- 2012_ITR2_PR21.xls, the XL that you should update
- Help, on how to enable macros in various version of Microsoft Excel.
- Get all the credits to your savings account over the financial year. This includes your salary, interest income, any dividends, any sale of shares, etc. Identify the amounts that are exempt from tax, such as dividends, long-term gains on shares, IT refunds.
- Collate Form 16As from Banks, which now send you statements, linked to your PAN. These are good sources for info on interest income. You should be able to get the PDFs as well from your Bank (it's better to copy+paste the TAN of the Deductor from the PDF, as there's always the lurking danger of confusing the I with the 1).
- Install the MindFusion XML Viewer from here. This is very useful for doing a last-minute check on the XML that you'd be uploading to the Income Tax India site.
Once you have steeled that resolve, you can finish the update of the XL, which, though complicated, is well designed. It doesn't allow entry in protected cells (preventing duplicate data entry), which is a big help as you can then look around in various sheets to find out where the data should be entered.
The critical buttons in the PARTB - TI - TTI sheet are:
- Calculate Tax
- Generate (XML), which is a two-step process. Once you click the Generate, a Pre_XML sheet gets appended to the end, in which you can click the Save XML button (at the top of column F).
- Assessment Year (must be 2012)
- Bank account number for refund
- Email ID
- TDS details, esp. the unique TDS Certificate Number and the TAN of the Deductor.
but you have already done that checking with the XML Viewer :-)
Click OK to get the SUCCESS message, along with a link to the ITR-V.
Download it immediately (it will be a ZIP file). Extract the PDF of the ITR-V, which is password-protected with the following 18-char key:
- aaaaannnna is your PAN in lower-case
- ddmmyyyy is your Date of Birth (on the PAN card) in the ddmmyyyy format.
Await (email) confirmation of the postal receipt of your ITR-V. If this gets delayed, you can:
- Call Aayakar Sampark Kendra (ASK) on:
- email email@example.com.