Thou art in truth self-willed, Redeemer of mankind!
Thou workest Thine own work; men only call it theirs.
Last Visit to Keshab,
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
Earlier on, i used to find it corny to read stuff such as:
Not my ability, but Your grace.But, of late, i think that's all there is to it. When i look back, all the momentous things in my life seem to have happened on their own.
One area where the sayings of Sri Brahmachaitanya Maharaj, that venerable incarnation of Lord Hanuman, have really helped me is in leaving all doer-ship to Rama. He has a lot of things to say on who actually does things in His Discourses:
- 21.FEB: Cast Away all Pride of Doership
- 12.MAR: Never Forget "Rama is the Real Doer"
- 05.MAY: Do Your Duty without Pride of Doership
- 01.JUN: Discarding Doership Constitutes Spirituality
- 10.JUN: Trust in God, the Sole Doer
- 30.JUL: Saints Act with Faith in Doership of Rama
- 06.SEP: The Faith that Rama is Doer Gives Contentment
- 27.OCT: Ascribe Doership to God and Anxiety will Vanish
- 15.NOV: Worry Arises out of Doership.
Needless to say, i put in my best efforts on anything. After all, there's the Great Infinite Spirit within me as well, like in everyone else:
Shri Maharaj used to say that in the heart of every human being is hidden a spot of mystic beauty, the luster of which never withers, the flavor of which is never spoiled.But if those efforts don't work out, so be it: that's the will of Lord Rama. One is much more in sync with that idea.
This has made life so much more enjoyable. And more time is available to put in some more effort in other areas :-)
In the very last chapter of the Shri Sai Satcharita, we encounter an instance of a Pundalikrao receiving a coconut from Shri Tembye Swami in Rajahmundry to be presented to his "brother Sai", but inadvertently eating it on the way to Shirdi. When Pundalikrao, trembling, offers to replace the same with another, Shirdi Baba refuses. But He pacifies Pundalikrao as follows:
Shri Tembye Swami
"Now you need not worry yourself any more about the matter. It was on account of my wish that the coconut was entrusted to you, and ultimately broken on the way; why should you take the responsibility of the actions on you? Do not entertain the sense of doership in doing good, as well as for bad deeds; be entirely prideless and egoless in all things and thus your spiritual progress will be rapid."
One of the best things that has happened from leaving all doership to Rama [no pun intended ;-)] is the following:
- One tends to live in the present moment much more; no regrets about the past and no fears about the future.
- Guess this is the way to become a superior devotee, as alluded to by Sri Ramakrishna in the Gospel: (page 265, middle)
The Festival at Panihati
The inferior devotee says, "God exists, but He is very far off, up there in heaven." The mediocre devotee says, "God exists in all beings as life and consciousness." The superior devotee says: "It is God Himself who has become everything; whatever I see is only a form of God. It is He alone who has become maya, the universe, and all living beings. Nothing exists but God."